Thursday, January 23, 2014

My sudden and dramatic brush with hair-fall, and a route-chart to recovery.

Going through your first major hair-fall experience is like watching an intense horror film. You stay seated on the edge of your seat and pray that the terror ends soon, only to be disappointed as things go from bad to worse, and all you can do is sit back haplessly and watch.

No matter how many times we may try to deny it by stating the examples of Jason Statham and Bruce Willis as possible role models, the fact remains that hair loss and balding are every man's worst vanity nightmare.

So I try every home remedy and rule in the book - eating high-protein stuff, applying oil vigorously over the weekends until you could literally make an omelette over my head, using a herbal shampoo, but progress is slow. My bathroom drain-hole continues to get clogged by an avalanche of hair, and let me tell you, it's heartbreaking. It's like you have done all you could to nurture this huge circle of friends who are now an intrinsic part of your life. And suddenly, almost as if in an epidemic, all of them start dying in front of you one by one, and there is nothing you can do to stop it. You want to cling on to them, stop them from departing, kiss them goodbye at least for staying with you for so long ... but Fate cruelly snatches them all away, until you resign yourself to your fate and begin considering alternatives like Rogaine, hair transplants, photoshop ...

I had almost given up too, but then this chance brush with knowledge led me to an uncanny cure using a combination of items which has been working so far for me. So just thought would share it with you:

1) Aloe Vera Gel: It's like Mother Nature foresaw the advent of junk food, pollution, smoking, and every other crap Man could invent to screw his looks, and decided in a moment of pity to give him one gift that could serve as a DIY kit in case of cosmetic emergencies. That's the kind of esteem I hold for this underrated miracle gem. As I  discovered, there is no limit to what you can do with this thing - you can use it as an after-shave, antiseptic cream, moisturizer ... and of course, as a hair product.

  So where does it fall in the context of hair fall? Well, I figured that if aloe vera gel can be used to cure skin irritations and acne and dryness, why not see if it works for the scalp too? So I applied it on my scalp right after my shower and combed through the hair once. And the results were amazing. Instantly, all the itchiness and dryness vanished. Yes, a few strands of hair did come out since it was shedding season. But overall, the hair looked fine, and over the course of a few days, I saw a significant decrease in their falling too.
  The next step I did was Google it for confirmation - and the search results were more than promising. Apparently, the gel is supposed to contain 20 minerals, 12 vitamins, 18 amino acids, and is also supposed to be great at removing dead skin cells and fungus. Yowzah!
  And the best part: it is easily available at most chemist stores, so just hop over and ask for a box of it. Believe me, you won't regret it.

2) Diet: There are a half million websites with catchy titles like Miracle Foods for your Hair, What to Eat for Long hair etc .... so let me just save you your time and brief it up for you - 2 egg yolks, a handful of nuts (almonds, walnut), carrots, lemons, peanuts, cucumbers, poultry and fish (if you're non-veg)/ lentils and beans (if you're veg), and whatever fruits are in season. That's it. You get your proteins, vitamins, minerals, and all other other stuff that makes for good skin and hair.
I am not saying you will wake up the next morning looking like Tom Cruise, but at least you can rest assured you're not screwing up in your diet department.

3) The ultimate cincher ---- "Balayam" or the Art of Rubbing Fingernails for Hair Growth: Based on an alternate reflexology therapy which claims that rubbing your fingernails (except for the thumb nails) together can stimulate hair growth and stop hair fall; the logic being that there are certain nerve endings under your nails that - when stimulated - increase the blood flow to your scalp and help in hair growth, preventing greying and hair loss too.

 http://www.bollywoodshaadis.com/article/lifestyle--health/health--fitness/rub-your-fingernails-to-say-goodbye-to-hair-problems
  Now I had heard about this technique during my college days. However, under the confidence of my youthful, lustrous mane, I had brushed it off as a bunch of superstitious hogwash. Now that I am grasping onto straws however, I decided to give this method another cursory glance. And I was surprised to see that people all over the world from US to South Africa have begun following it, and with glowing feedback too! So I am definitely eager to see the results for myself, and hence, my fingernail rubbing routine starts from today.  

  These are my recent learnings as far as the issue of hair care goes. Am all in for following these tips based on my research so far. Hope they end up helping some of you out there too :)

  If you have any other tips to share, please do go ahead and let me know.

  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment